Sometimes I’m asked by people new to spoken word about events in London – how can I find good gigs, and where can I perform in a slam or at an open-mic? So here’s a little list of recommendations and links. Run a spoken word gig in London? Drop me an email to be included!
Listings – sites to find more spoken word events
- Write Out Loud‘s Gig Guide is an essential place to find events. Website.
- The Poetry Library has a comprehensive section of events. Website.
- Londonist Books & Poetry section lists interesting gigs each week. Website
- Poetry in London is where promoters post lots of events. Facebook Group.
- Apples and Snakes London has both A&S events and more. Facebook Group.
Venues and Organisations – people and places that regularly stage spoken word gigs
- Apples and Snakes works nationally, and puts lots on in London. Website and Facebook Page.
- Spread the Word looks out for London’s writers, including poets. Website and Facebook Page.
- Roundhouse in Camden is a huge supporter of spoken word, especially for 18-25 year olds. Website.
- The Poetry Cafe is the Poetry Society’s official space, with events most night. Website and Facebook Page.
- Southbank Centre has a Literature strand to its programming. Website and Facebook Page.
Poetry Slams – audience-judged spoken word competitions.
- Farrago is the longest-running slam in the UK, with a monthly slam at the RADA Bar. Website and Facebook Page.
- Hammer & Tongue runs nationally, with monthly events in Shoreditch and Waterloo. Website and Facebook Group.
- Genesis Slam at the delightful Genesis Cinema near Whitechapel. An energetic room to play, and one of my favourite slams. Biased, as I sometimes host it. Monthly. Website and Facebook Page.
- Bang Said the Gun‘s Raw Meat Stew is sort of competitive – win a slot next gig! Website and Facebook Page.
Open Mics – nights dedicated to open mic, or nights with a substantial open mic section.
- Poetry Unplugged every Tuesday at the Poetry Cafe, hosted by the legendary Niall O’Sullivan. Facebook Page.
- Jawdance is Apples and Snakes’ monthly night at Rich Mix, with lucky-dip open mic, super headliner, and awesome hosts. Facebook Page.
- Chill Pill is a great gig, with the Chill Pill crew and top features. Website and Facebook Page.
- Boomerang Club first Tuesday of the month – lovely open mic and featured poets. Facebook Page.
- Forget What You Heard (About Spoken Word) or FWYH(ASW) to its friends – super friendly open mic and features. Facebook Group.
- Poetry in London run their own night First Fridays at the Poetry Cafe. Facebook Group.
- Chocolate Poetry Club jumps around a little date-wise, but is roughly every 2 weeks. Facebook Page.
- Platform 1 Poetry is the second Saturday of each month at the Poetry Cafe. Facebook Page.
- Spoken Word London is at Vogue Fabrics in Stoke Newington. Facebook Page.